Monday, October 12, 2009

Section 25 and it's Importance

Throughout high school, one of the most common arguments against the church was it discriminated against women. Although I always new this to be inaccurate, I never seemed to be able to find any evidence for my side. I personally never wanted to hold any of the positions in the church that seemed to be reserved for men, so couldn't find it in myself to try to prove something I felt didn't apply to me. It still bothered me that I couldn't answer my friends questions. I recently found those answers in Section 25 of the Doctrine and Covenants.

This section is counsel given to Emma Smith, the wife of Joseph Smith. During this time period, women had very little agency of their own. They belonged to their husbands, or fathers, or oldest brother. If a person wanted to speak to a women, they asked for the eldest male in the household, not the women herself. The revelation given to Emma begins with the Lord telling her that she needs to make sure she is faithful and virtuous so that she can be blessed. He also tells her not to murmur. The Lord does not tell Joseph to keep his wife in line, he doesn't tell him to makes sure she is faithful, and he does not say that if Joseph is good than Emma will be blessed. Her rewards are based on her actions and it is her responsibility to monitor those actions. This is a time period where the only responsibility women had was to bare and raise children.

Emma is next informed that she can serve as Joseph's scribe when Oliver Cowdery, the usual scribe, is not present. This statement places Emma in a man's position, giving her the same rights and responsibilities as Oliver Cowdery. Emma is also informed she can read the scriptures and formulate her own lessons based on what she thinks, and then teach these lessons to a mixed audience. She is not being forced to have her husband dictate her lessons, or even decide what she should teach about, and she is being allowed to teach men what she has learned.

Finally, Emma is asked to make a book of hymns. Some might look at this and think it insignificant compared to the book of scripture that Joseph was asked to write. I, however, believe that this song book was very important and still is important today. A young child cannot tell you what part of the bible to look in to learn the teachings of Noah, but he understands who Noah was and what he did through songs he learned in Primary. A recent convert to the church might not know what chapter in the Doctrine and Covenants it speaks of the martyrdom of Joseph Smith, but he can still feel the Spirit when singing "Praise to the Man." Although hundreds of people have composed these songs, it is Emma, a women, who put together the first book of music to be used in the church.

It is true that today's world is much different than the world of Emma and Joseph Smith. But I have trouble believing that a church so firm in creating equality between men and women in the 1800's would now be discriminatory toward women. I do not have all the answers, I am not totally sure why there are some callings reserved for men, but I know there are callings reserved for women too- and personally, these are the callings I would prefer to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment