Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The MOA Exhibit


Last week, instead of having our regular religion class, we had a presentation and tour of one of the new exhibits in the Museum of Art (referred to as the MOA). The exhibit is called Types and Shadows: Intimations of Divinity. It includes several pictures of Christ, but also many pictures that were meant to symbolize Christ or tell a story. It included both 2D and 3D works.

The presentation was given in class on Tuesday. Rita Wright, the person giving the presentation, told us different ways to look at religious art. She showed us some of the pieces that we would see during the tour and discussed the meaning and symbolism in the works. I haven't been raised around a lot of visual art, I've always been more of a music person, so I really feel like I learned a lot about art that I had never known before.

We then took a tour of the exhibit during our class on Thursday. We stopped at several pictures that had not been in the presentation and discussed the meaning and symbolism in the works. We even stopped again at some of the pieces we had seen. It was really fun to listen to others talk about what they felt and saw because there are so many diverse backgrounds in my class. I got to learn about a lot of symbolism I never would have even noticed otherwise. My favorite thing about the tour though, was just to stand there and see the paintings. To look at something I know I could never create and let it act upon my thoughts. I saw things and felt things in ways I never have before. If you would like to look at the pictures yourself, use this link and download the powerpoint. http://typesandshadows.byu.edu/FacultyResources.html I have also included my favorite, just in case you don't have time to look at the powerpoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment