Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Suffering

Most people associate the word suffering with pain, sadness, and negativity. In general, suffer is not a word that is thought of in a positive light. For this week's assignment, we were asked to write about our feelings on suffering. When looking at current events, some as large and impactful as the economic crisis and the earthquake in Haiti and others as small and personal as the stress of the current semester, I find it initially difficult to find anything positive to mention at all. I find it obvious that myself and anyone else in my situation would primarily feel like the wanted it all to stop, to be solved, to have never happened in the first place.

Yet amidst the suffering I find a purpose and I find hope. There is a reason behind why I suffer, and through that suffering I grow into a better and stronger person. Trust me, this fact does not make me enjoy feeling lonely, worthless, or pathetic anymore than the next person., what it does instead is remind me that I am not suffering without purpose. If there is a purpose behind why I am suffering, I don't only find the pain easier to deal with, but I realize that I am not alone in my trials. Not only are other people going through the same things that I am going through, but Christ went through the same thing that I am going through. He suffered through every trial and hardship I have or will have to go through and he can help me through my pain.

Some ask, if God really is all loving, how can he let us suffer. This happens to relate to another definition of the word suffer. Most are familiar with the definition of going through pain and hardship, but the other definition of suffer has a similar meaning as allow. In the scriptures, there are several passages that read "I will suffer my people to..." or "I will suffer them..." and these passages use suffer in a way that means allow. Yet still, why does good allow his children to suffer, or to make each other suffer, if he is all loving. This is one concept that took me a long time to understand.

I think about it by thinking about my own parents. I know that my parents love me more than I can currently comprehend. I also know, however, that my parents will let me make mistakes. Sometimes, these mistakes can cause pain to myself or my siblings, who my parents also love, but this does not prevent them from letting me make the mistake. The let me mess up because the love me and they know that if they stop me from making mistakes then I will never learn. I'm sure it is difficult for them to watch me make choices that they know will lead to harsh consequences. Their love for me is what gives them the strength to give me my free agency.

No comments:

Post a Comment