Sunday, May 22, 2011

Thoughts

May 22, 2011

This week, if you look at what we did, is about the same as any other. If you look at what I studied, there were no brilliant insights. If you look at my planner, there is nothing unique. If you look at my journal, it's seriously lacking in detail because I didn't have time to write anything. It was a "normal, busy, week" but the amazing things about missionary work is that "normal busy weeks" occur every week and each one is filled with distinct memories that make it special.

One thing I've pondered this week is the effect we have on other people. How many people are there in your life who have changed who you are. How many times has someone helped you without knowing that they did it? Who has helped me along my way to be where I am now? And as I've pondered- I wonder how often I've been an answer for someone else.
My thoughts began with receiving a letter from a missionary friend. She and I were in the same room while in the MTC and became close friends as walking buddies during gym class. At the time, nothing particularly stood out. I never noticed a drastic change because of this individual. Yet I know having her listening ear uplifted me and helped my burdens seem easier to bear. I know having a walking buddy during gym probably helped me not gain weight in the MTC and was a great way to practice the language I'm no longer using. I know that her simple action and friendship helped me through those 9 challenging weeks of my life and upon parting I was looking forward for the opportunity to maybe work with her again out in the field, for we were headed to the same mission.
The letter I received was sent from the states. Due to health issues, she served a shorter mission than she was anticipating. I read about her challenges as she made the necessary decision to go home and to recover, her disappointment as she did not serve a full 18 months. I'm not sure what Heavenly Father's plan for her is, what her purpose was as a 6 month missionary. But I know one thing- I know that her service has blessed my life. I know part of the reason she needed to serve a mission was so that she would be in the MTC at the same time as me. I'm so very thankful that I had the chance to meet her during her short mission and I hope to be able to help others in the same way she helped me.

Those are my thoughts for the week- as well as thinking that mud is really fun to walk through and even more fun when you have 10 minutes of trudging through mud to find your investigator not home and turn around for another 10 minutes of mud-walking. I've also thought about how lucky I am to serve in a country where the sky looks like heaven. To be in a place where we sit under a mango tree to teach a lesson and then snack on the mangos that fell as we taught. This world is a paradise, full of smiling people who are changing my life even though they don't know it. I really hope I can change their lives as well.

Yours truly
she who thinks too much.


From Elora's family letter...

This week, as all the others, has been super fun and busy. It's actually been so busy that I didn't even have time to write in my journal most days, which means unfortunately I've forgotten a lot of little details. But the big important things- like investigators- I remember, and that's the important stuff.

Monday was p-day, nothing particularly exciting, though my companion decided she wanted to go to the dentist for a cleaning so I spent an hour sitting at the dentist reading the Libro Ni Mormon. I have a goal to finish it before I come home from my mission, this goal may be adjusted if I end up going to an area that doesn't speak Hiligaynon- two of the zones in our mission use a different language. Anyways- as of right now I'm still in 1st Nephi, but I've discovered that as long as I stay consistent from here till the end I can finish it!

Tuesday was really fun. We got to visit with Brother T, a fairly new investigator. He was referred to us by a member in the ward who has come to nearly every teaching with him. It's really helping Brother T to progress and it helps him feel comfortable enough to ask us questions. He has a million and one questions, but he also is really good at knowing what questions to ask so that he can reason out answers to other questions on his own.

Wednesday we found 4 new investigators! It was cool. The biggest concern is that they are all in the farthest area from the church. Of course, this would be the area where our investigators are progressing most and have the strongest testimonies that the church is true. Unfortunately, many literally can't afford to come to church.

Thursday was unique because of the little things. I wore a black shirt. As we were walking from one investigator to another, a tiny brilliantly yellow butterfly decided to land on my shoulder. I wished I had my camera so bad, and I wished it stayed longer. It was only there for a heartbeat, but it was so pretty.

Friday and Saturday- we got free mangos. It's finally mango season- when the mangos are sweetest and cheapest, and I haven't bought any in several weeks because people keep giving us so many.

Sunday was bitter sweet. We lost an investigator who had really been progressing. Her husband was saying that she was free to do what she wanted, but being very critical whenever she started to show serious interest in the church. We all decided that we should discontinue the lessons so that she doesn't cause contention between herself and her husband. We also got to visit Brother T again, he's fun to visit. Then we visited some of the members, we want to strengthen the missionary relationship with the ward and the best way to do that is to visit the members. It was fun. One of the members we visited happened to be all alone, her children all had things that had to go to for the afternoon- she was really happy to have company. The other had invited us over and so gave us bananas from their own tree- which were huge!- cookies, and buko juice- the liquid from the inside of a coconut when it is still green.

No comments:

Post a Comment