Sunday, November 13, 2011

Doctrine & Covenants 63:66

November 14, 2011

Last week, I shared about our long chain of difficulties and trials, as well as expressing the hope that they would all be over with the new week. I must have forgotten to knock on wood or something because the difficulties have not let up one bit. They don't really need to all be repeated and remembered, so instead I would like to share something I learned this week in my scripture study that probably wouldn't have been nearly as interesting if I hadn't been dealing with so much in my life.

Trials, of course, our given to us in life to help us to develop and become something better. We learn patience, endurance, and humility as we learn to trust in the Lord as we work through our challenges. This week, I learned another reason Heavenly Father blesses us with challenges in our lives. Doctrine and Covenants 63:66 reads "These things remain to overcome through patience, that such may receive a more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, otherwise, a greater condemnation. Amen." Our trials are not just to change us and mold us while we are in this life, but Heavenly Father gives us trials so that we might have a greater reward in the life to come. I thought of this much like students in school. Teachers who love their students give them tests. Though tests are difficult and sometimes obnoxious, the process of preparing for and succeeding at a test helps strengthen the student. These tests don't just help the student during their at school life. As they truly work hard, they are blessed with more opportunities and a better job for the life that starts after high school.

So, that's what I've learned this week. Although the challenges haven't let up, despite life still being difficult, Heavenly Father loves me. In fact, it is his love for me that is the cause. If I never had to fight and grow and struggle on my mission, I would walk off the airplane at the end of my mission and not be any better than I was when I left. I'm meant for something better than that.

As a side note: for those of you who are unaware, I have big exciting news! My older brother got married this week. It is strange to think that for the first time in my life I've got a sister, I've never had one before (just best friends who I call sisters). Sometimes, it's really strange to sit and remember that life really is continuing forward and changing for everyone I know back home. I don't usually hear much about it, so sometimes I forget. I'm so excited for my brother though, taking another step and starting his own family. Life is great!

Tanan kang pagpalangga ko kanimo! Tani mayad ang semana nyo prehas kanakon. Nagakadlo ako bangod bakot nyo namaan kun ano hinambalan nga ginausar ko. Nahidlow ko kamo!

Mom's note - I asked Elora what that meant and this was her reply - It says "all my love to you. Hope your week was as good as mine. I'm laughing because you don't know which language I'm using (which happens to be kinaray-a). I miss all of you!" a more literal translation "all my love to you. Hope good week yours like mine. Laughing I because don't you know what language is using me. miss I you all. (I love literal translations)

No comments:

Post a Comment