Sunday, December 18, 2011

Oh, That I were an Angel

December 18, 2011

A few scripture verses I read earlier this week in my personal study:
"Oh, that I were an angel, and could have the wish of my heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people! Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and come unto our God that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth. But behold, I am a man, and do sin in my wish; for I ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me." Alma 29:1-3

My personal rewrite to apply the verses to my own life:
"Oh, that I were an elder, and could have the wish of my heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God for two whole years...But behold, I am a sister, and do sin in my wish; for I ought to be content with the eighteen months which the Lord hath allotted unto me."

Just something kinda funny that I realized this week. Sister missionaries are assigned to serve for 18 months, while elders get 2 years. For much of my mission, I was honestly jealous of the elders and the extra 6 months that they get to spend as a missionary. After reading these verses though, I realized I must be content with the time that I have and just use it as best as I can. Besides- my mom would probably kill me if I told her I was staying for an extra 6 months.

On another note. This week was totally amazing. We had several wonderful lessons and were able to find many individuals that we had been looking for. One thing I really love doing in each area is getting to know the people who are already members of the church, especially those who haven't been able to attend in a while. Sometimes these people are very difficult to find, I can't just see them at church and ask where their house is. My companion and I set aside a few hours this week to try to find some of these people and get to know them a little bit better. We headed out with a prayer for assistance and faith that we would be able to locate them.

The first people we asked directed us to a nearby tsunggi, telling us the tag-iya might know where they live (definitions: tsunggi- small store, tag-iya- owner). The tag-iya didn't know very many of them besides the one who happened to live next door, but sitting in front of the tsunggi was a sweet old man who walked up to me and said, "I'm a member" (yes- in English). He was really excited to see the missionaries again, showed us where he lives, introduced us to his wife, and then his wife came along to show us where some other members live. It was so much fun. The wife even came to church this week! They are a sweet old couple. I love this work; I'm so very grateful for my chance to be a part of it.

Ingat, Halong, Andam, Dahan, and Take Care.

No comments:

Post a Comment