Monday, July 25, 2011

Light

July 24, 2011

Several months ago I spoke of the brother of Jared and his pile of rocks (blog entry "A Pile of Rocks" written back in January). This month, my regular reading of the Book of Mormon had brought me once again to that same story. I've found this section of the Book of Mormon, referred to as the Book of Ether, has really grown in depth and meaning for me throughout my mission. Without fail, I find a message of peace, comfort, and understanding, every time I read it. This time, as I read, the message was found in the same chapters that "A Pile of Rocks" was found in, but it was a very different message. Instead of being a message about what I have to offer now, it is a message of what Heavenly Father provided me before I came to earth. The story below can be found in Ether, chapters 2-6.

A group of people, referred to as the people of Jared, had left Jerusalem to find a promised land the Lord had promised them. They eventually reached the ocean and were given instruction on how to build barges in order to cross the vast waters. The brother of Jared went to the Lord after the barges were finished to inquire as to what the people could have for light on their long journey. The response he received was "What will ye that I should prepare for you that ye may have light when ye are swallowed up in the depths of the sea?" (Ether 2:25). This question really stuck out to me, much more than the response of the brother of Jared, as it did last time. The people were going to have a dark and difficult journey ahead of them, and the Lord was willing to provide them with that which they asked for to provide light and comfort.

It made me think back to a time, a time I actually can't remember. As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, we believe that we lived with our Father in Heaven, or God, as spirit children before we came to this earth. We obviously don't remember this portion of our lives, much like most people don't remember the first few years of their life. As part of our testing and growing on this earth, we needed to forget and walk according to our faith. It is a time of spiritual darkness, away from our Heavenly Father's presence. I imagine the conversation that might have occurred:
Us: Father, life is going to be dark and difficult, what shall we do to have light? Where shall we find guidance to help us return to thee safely?
Heavenly Father: What will ye that I should prepare for you that ye may have guidance?
Us: Could you provide us with prophets, men who are called by thee to help us learn thy plan for us? May we have scriptures, holy writings where we can learn that which we have forgotten?

The scene even came to mind of a more personal conversation I may have had with Heavenly Father. A one-on-one moment to ask for parents who would guide me along the path of truth, leaders in church to help me through times of trial. I can even imagine me asking about a time in my life where I would be in the Philippines, and would be required to speak a language I wasn't very comfortable with. I would have challenges teaching people and talking to them and days I didn't get along with those I lived with. I can imagine asking for him to bless me with a wonderful companion who would help me learn and grow and realize I'm capable of the challenges that lie ahead. And my Heavenly Father loves me, so he allowed it to be so. I'm so very thankful for the amazing companion he has blessed me with for this transfer.

No comments:

Post a Comment