Monday, December 30, 2013

The Pearl of Great Price

I've done it! I've finished reading the entire standard works.  The very last book in The LDS standard works is called the Pearl of Great Price.  This is a collection of books from various sources and for various purposes.  See the introduction for an explanation as to where everything came from.

As before, I'd like to share a few of my favorite verses.  All three come from the Book of Moses, the first and longest book in the Pearl of Great Price.

Moses 1:13
In the chapter preceding this verse, Moses speaks face to face with God.  Heavenly Father shows him his many creations and teaches Moses that he is His son.  When Heavenly Father's presence leaves, Satan approaches Moses and tries to convince Moses to worship him instead.  This is what happens:
"And it came to pass that Moses looked upon Satan and said: Who are thou? For behold, I am a son of God, in the similitude of his Only Begotten; and where is thy glory, that I should worship thee?"
Moses has learned, with a certainty, that he is a son of God.  This knowledge is all he needs.  As we are faced with the temptations of this world, we can recall that we are children of God.  This world holds no glory for us compared to the glory that we have been promised as his children.

Moses 6:31
This has long been one of my favorite verses, I find it easy to relate to.  In this chapter, God calls Enoch to be a prophet.  He's generally considered to be a pretty incredible prophet, as he teaches an entire city and they become righteous to the point that the whole city is taken up into heaven.  Amazing, no?  I always felt that I could never be that great, this verse reminds me that Enoch probably felt the same way. God tells Enoch that he has been called as a prophet...
"And when Enoch had heard these words, he bowed himself to the earth, before the Lord, and spake before the Lord, saying: Why is it that I have found favor in thy sight, and am but a lad, and all the people hate me; for I am slow of speech; wherefore am I thy servant?"
I am not the only one who has ever thought "why me" and although I may feel little and unimportant, like Enoch, God might have great things in store for me.  If I just in Him and answer when He calls, I will become as great as he needs me to be

Moses 7:32-33 (but really more like verses 21-40)
Long after Enoch begins teaching the people and many repent and choose to follow the teaching of the Gospel, he has another opportunity to speak with God.  Here, God reveals to him that the people he teaches will become so righteous they go straight to Heaven.  Heavenly Father also shows Enoch what will happen after this, how the world will become so wicked that only one righteous family will remain- Noah and his family- and that He would have to flood the whole world to destroy the wickedness.  Enoch turns to God and sees Him crying and asks "How is it that thou canst weep, seeing thou art holy, and from all eternity to all eternity?" (vs 29).  God responds:
"Behold these thy brethren; they are the workmanship of mine own hands, and I gave unto them their knowledge, in the day I created them; and in the Garden of Eden, gave I unto man his agency; And unto they brethren have I said, and also given commandment, that they should love one another, and that they should choose me, their Father; but behold, they are without affection, and they hate their own blood"
Heavenly Father cries because His children do not love each other.  He had to destroy His own creations, His own children, so that more children would not be brought into a world which could only teach hatred and cruelty.  God weeps for us because of how deep His love for us is.

So- I managed to finish everything, 2476 pages worth of scripture.  Time to start again.

No comments:

Post a Comment