Tuesday, February 21, 2017

#30 Cheese

I love cheese. And when I say cheese, I mean real cheese, not this half-plastic American cheese or "cheese whiz" that comes out of an aerosol can. I'm thinking of Gouda, English white cheddar, Muenster, and Havarti.

Each year, on the weekend of President's day, there is a local writing conference.  I'm trying to really get back into writing (fiction and poetry and stuff, not just my blog) so I attended this year to kick-start the creative juices. 

Unfortunately, when the conference started on Thursday, I was working late trying to resolve a few last minute issues. I finally left work and rushed straight to the conference to attend a lecture that I was really interested in, thus missing the opportunity to go home and actually eat. 

After the lecture, and while waiting for another one, I stopped in at a nearby restaurant to grab something to eat. I skimmed the menu and made my decision within seconds. If you've ever been to a restaurant with me, you know that this is incredibly unusual. The waitress returned, took my order, looked at me really funny when I said I was sure all I wanted was an appetizer, and left to get my food.

I didn't have to wait long for my whole evening to be made worth while (even the working late part). On the plate before me was a sliced baguette, two different cheeses, two different meats, a small jar of home-made honey mustard and a bowl of kalamata olives. I couldn't have asked for more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment