Monday, August 15, 2011

Aswang Month

August 14, 2011

So, after our beautiful sunny Monday last week, the world turned rainy again. This is just how August works according to the locals. It's either really rainy, or very warm. It's been warm enough I even considered it to be hot yesterday- around noon. Then the clouds came in and it rained again. Due to the drastic, sudden changes in weather, August is referred to as aswang month. Aswang means ghost, it's because August is a month known for bad luck. The local people believe that the weather is the cause of all the illnesses that people get at this time of the year. (a statement which is somewhat true because it is currently Dengue Fever season) The also claim that it is the hardest month to have money during. Work becomes more difficult due to illness and rain, especially if you work out in the fields. Lastly- it's the month that everything breaks during... I'm not sure if (or how) this relates to the weather. I think part of it might be that most things just have a one-year-life-span and it's always re-purchased in August.

Anyways- why am I telling you all so much about Aswang month- because I've heard about it almost non-stop for three days. I got a cough and a sore throat, one of those illnesses that are recognized very quickly by investigators and members as I croak out the words "Maayong Hapon" (good afternoon). They ask me if I'm sick or "may ubo ka?" (do you have a cough). And then they tell me that it's because it's Aswang month and as soon as it stops raining I'll get better. Their suggestions for getting better include making sure I don't get my head wet and resting. Though I did receive a somewhat useful suggestion last night from a member- boil ginger in water and then drink the water. It made my throat feel a lot better- for about an hour at lease.

Overall- it's been a really really fun week. It's become easier to think of things to do when all our appointments fall through on us. I've developed more confidence that the Lord will always bless me with the help I need to do this work. As I've trusted in him, it's become easier to recognize those promptings and act upon them. Despite sickness, wet feet, and aswangs, I really feel so blessed every day to be a part of this great work and to serve as an instrument in the Lord's hands.

Halong kamo sa sining bulan kay basi may aswang didto sa Amerika man.
Take care everyone this month because there are maybe ghost is America also.

Palangga Ko Kamo!

No comments:

Post a Comment