Monday, August 22, 2011

Hiking! and a few other things...

August 21, 2011

So- I can now honestly say I've hiked a mountain (and it was a big mountain) in the rain (pouring rain, not just a light sprinkle) and without shoes (I wore shoes at some of the parts, but most of it was too muddy and slippery, so we just went barefoot). It was fun. The answer to why I did this, for it certainly is not something one randomly decides to do without some forethought, district activity. At the top of this large mountain is a member. She attends church as often as she can, but considering this hike took us all day, she really can't very often. She explained that if she does, she goes down the night before and stays with someone there. We had FHE with her! This Family Home Evening activity required us first to take a 1 hour ride to the area that she's in, and then do a 2.5 hour hike, which was very slippery due to the abundance of rain these past few days. When we got to the top, we made lunch and had an FHE, then waited for the rain to stop. Around 4 it calmed down, so we headed out, with one of her relatives as a guide. He decided to take us a slightly longer way (it took about 3 hours) but he said it was safer, and if we had gone the other way, we probably wouldn't have been able to get down due to flooding with all the rain. About 30 minutes after we headed out, it started to rain... and then it kept raining... and then it kept raining... till we reached the bottom. It was a really fun day. And I'm definitely still wet.

Other exciting things that happened this week included having exchanges with the other sisters assigned to our branch, overcoming the illness that I had last week, and conducting an operation. The operation can be explained as such.

The bone snapped cleanly in half early in the afternoon, but we bore with the trial till that evening upon returning home. I then used adhesive and a metal bar to realign the two pieces, and wrapped it tightly so that it would stay in place. A life has been saved, and many trials overcome. (k- so what actually happened, a spindle of my umbrella broke and I dealt with it till getting home. I then used a bobby pin and tape to fix it and provide support. I wrapped it with more tape so that it wouldn't fall apart. The life of my umbrella is saved and I don't have to stress about buying a new umbrella or getting wet in the rain (unless we are out hiking and I forget to bring my umbrella))

Love You All and hope you had as many adventures this week as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment