Sunday, October 9, 2011

Look Up!

October 9, 2011

The last two days (Saturday and Sunday) have been absolutely amazing. For the Philippines, it was General Conference weekend. To those of you unfamiliar with General Conference, twice a year the living prophet and apostles of the Lord speak. They share counsel and revelation from the Lord specific for our day and time. Counsel that I have found very often provides specific help in my life through the trials I face between General Conferences. This conference is broadcast worldwide in dozens of different languages. Due to the time differences, we watch the sessions on a rebroadcast a week after they have been broadcast in America. So, this weekend I got to watch General Conference, which is one of the reasons October has always been one of my favorite months (that and maybe my birthday).

So- what was so great about conference this year? A lot! Nearly every talk seemed to share something straight to my heart. My companion and I turned to each other several times with shocked expressions as apostles answered questions we had asked and discussed with each other in the past few weeks. One of the talks that really stuck out to me though was Elder Carl B. Cook's talk- Look Up. I've asked my mom to include a link to this talk if you would like to read it. (Link at bottom of page) He shares a wonderful experience in which he receives the counsel that "it is better to look up" during difficult circumstances and trials. How very true this statement is, both literally and symbolically.

I've always tried my hardest to keep a positive and upbeat attitude in the face of difficult, especially serving as a missionary where they trials and concerns I face are nearly endless. Though to be frank, this past month has been incredibly I have been blessed with an amazing companion to work with during the trials that have been faced, yet they are still taxing both physically and mentally and often leave us both worn out and unsure where to go. The missionary work itself has been slow and difficult, and then it's been combined with challenges of illness and a long-term injury of my companions which still causes her great pain. This week in particular, as it's lead up to such a wonderful weekend, has been nearly completely halted in work with scheduling conflicts and Sister McBride and I taking turns getting sick. But I must agree with Elder Cook that "it is better to look up" And here is the why:

Literally- The Philippines is a beautiful country. The sky is a brilliant shade a blue and the clouds at sunset take on millions of shades of purple and red. Antique is filled with huge green trees and large fields. If we keep our eyes upward, it is impossible not to feel blessed with where we have been called to serve. Yet when our head grows heavy and we cast our eyes down, the scene changes greatly. What lies in front of our feet is a dirt road that is more mud than dirt because of the consistent rain. Even the paved roads are dotted with muddy potholes. There is an abundance of trash nearly everywhere. And then we have our own battered and dirty feet in their very old shoes. It is literally much easier to have a happy attitude if our eyes our towards the heavens. Especially after sunset when the stars come out- my favorite time of all.

Symbolically- Looking up doesn't just refer to the sky, but to our Heavenly Father. Looking up reminds us to pray to him and rely on his strong strong arm, instead of the skinny, pale ones I see when I look down. When I look up to my Heavenly Father, I'm reminded that He loves me and has a perfect plan for me, no matter what confusion and disappointments I see here on earth.

So this week, as trials and troubles head your way, Look Up! See the beauty of the skies above you, the freedom of the birds in flight, and remember the Father in Heaven who loves you so very much that he will never abandon you, no matter how difficult or dirty things get here on earth.

The link to watch and/or read the talk Elora refereed to is: Elder Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment