Sunday, February 5, 2012

Caring!

February 5, 2012


This week, I really learned about caring. What does it mean and how do we show people we care. I have a close friend who loves to tell me that he remembered (be it my birthday, something I said, etc) because he cares. Of course, remembering something is a vital part of caring about someone. Yet as much as I love me friend, I've realized there is so much more to caring than just remembering. We often remember someone, think of someone, even say a silent prayer for them. As wonderful as these silent acts are, sometimes an individual needs most to know that someone cares.

Last week we visited a member who hasn't been feeling well, just a quick stop by to check up on her. We found her lying on her couch, feeling too sick to make it upstairs to her bed. As we spent time talking to her and just being with her, she told us how she had been praying that someone would stop by just so she wouldn't be alone. In that moment, she felt that we cared and that she was important. I think back on that moment and wonder what would have happened if we had merely remembered her, thought about her a little, and hoped that she was okay. Would she have received the comfort that she needed that day, alone in her house feeling like no one remembered her?

How often do we hear the stories? Those on the brink of suicide, those brought to their knees by life's challenges, those who need nothing more than to know that they are remembered. Their lives are changed and uplifted by someone who did more than remembered, someone who chose to act. It doesn't take much to change a life: a quick visit, a phone call, a letter or email. Through today's technology, the options are nearly endless. My invitation for you this week is to show someone you care. I know you, you're wonderful at remembering those you love and spend you time with. But please, do more than remember, show them you care.

Huwag lang marumduman, himuon!

No comments:

Post a Comment