Monday, February 20, 2012

Refflesia





February 19, 2012

The missionaries in the Antique district have been working very hard for the past several months to make sure that our area books (binders containing information about the area we are serving in and the people we are visiting) are always updated and that our apartments are kept to the highest standard of cleanliness. As a reward, our mission president approved a zone activity for this p-day. We decided that we wanted to go on a hike to see many of the beauties of nature that are we are surrounded with. With this thought in mind, many did research and the resulting activity was taking a hike to see the Refflesia flower.

The Refflesia genus is the largest species of flowers in the world, though it is more technically a parasite than a flower. It grows on vines in remote jungles. There are several species of the Refflesia, one of which is found only in Sibalom, Antique, and this is the one we visited. The plants smell horrible to attract insects and small animals which they supposedly eat (I'm not sure, the poster says they eat rats but the local guides say that they don't). The smell is strong enough that you can smell the plants before seeing them, though not so bad that you can't stand around and get a million pictures. The flowers get much bigger in rainier seasons, and other species are known to get as large as 5 feet in diameter. The ones we saw were maybe a foot and a half, but that doesn't change the fact that I can now say I've seen the largest type of flower in the world.

The hike in general was just wonderful. Like I said before, it was mostly just a great chance to see the beauty of the Philippines. The hike was gorgeous. We walked through a forest of coconut, banana, and bamboo, along with a million other plants that I can't even describe. We actually got high enough in altitude to see a few pine-type-trees. I feel so blessed that I've been given the opportunity to serve in paradise. Sorry I can't include all the pictures I took, but I hope you enjoy these 5. And now you can say you've seen a picture of the largest flowers in the world.

Just an update on life- still breathing.

Sorry, I know it's kinda lame. This past week has been wonderful, and I would love to tell you about it all, but at the same time, those things which make it most wonderful are those little things that happen nearly every week and every day. They are those things you really have to experience. Moments of laughter, surprise, and joy that comes from serving the Lord. How I wish I could share every day with you, yet you wouldn't understand. I can't put it into words, and if I try, it's Hiligaynon.

Next time I email you, I might not be in Antique any more. Transfers occur this Friday. I've been here for 6 months now and this Wednesday I might be told to leave. It's going to be hard. I've been in the Philippines for 13 months now and in just 3 months I will be told to leave. It's going to be really really hard. It's strange to think how just over a year ago I knew nearly nothing about this country, yet now so much of my life is here. I haven't just lived here for a random year, but a year in which I've changed and grown so much. This place is filled with memories. Things from bamboo to rocks to tricycles to babies with black hair and flat noses. It all means so much. I want to share it all with you, but there just aren't words. There really just aren't words.

Ambay kun paano makapanaw ako. Ayaw ko.





1 comment: