Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Language

April 22, 2012

These past few weeks, I've had the opportunity to be companions with a new missionary.  As of now (April 23rd), she has been in the Philippines for 19 days.  This means, in contrast to my past two companions who were both Filipino, she doesn't know how to speak Hiligaynon.  The past few weeks have been filled with adventures and trials relating to her difficulty in learning the language.  I can't help but think back to those first few weeks of my mission and the similar challenges I faced. Having this opportunity to work with someone so new allows me to really ponder who I was back then and what I can do to help her now so that she is even better than me when she gets to my point.
Looking back, I remember the frustration of not understanding anything.  I recall feeling useless as all I did each lesson was bear a three-sentence, memorized testimony.  I look back with understanding on that girl who sat on the kitchen counter, the balcony, the bathroom, anywhere to feel a little more alone, as I mourned my lack of language skills and what I considered to be several weeks of no progression.  I finally see what I did do, I finally see where I have come.  I feel now that I stand near the top of a mountain, finally able to see the height I've reached and how many trials I've overcome to get here.  And now I'm even more blessed with the chance to help someone else start the climb.  I sometimes inform her of trials awaiting her, I'm not sure how much she appreciates that, but at least it's good to be here, to help her through the ones she's currently dealing with. 

Most especially, I'm grateful for those who did this for me, and my way to pay back the kindness I received by offering it again to another.  I say something simple like "you can do it" or "I know how you feel" and wonder if it helps at all. Then I remember those who said it to me, and I know that it did when they said it, so maybe it helps when I say it too.

Indi siya hapos, pero indi siya impossible. Matahum ang panawan sa taas.

1 comment:

  1. I think it helps your companion just to know that you are sympathetic and know what she is going through. Also, she has your example to look forward to - eventually she will learn to speak just like you!

    I hope you can find some way to speak Hiligaynon when you get home so that you don't lose your language skills. I promised myself that wouldn't happen to me, but it's hard when everyone around you just speaks English.

    ReplyDelete