Sunday, February 27, 2011

1st Zone Conference!

February 27, 2011


So- the best part about this week- Zone Conference! It was so much fun. President Pagaduan started by having someone throw a ball up, hit the roof, and then catch it. He asked them how simple that was- to which he responded, "Very." Then he asked him to throw the ball, have it hit the roof, and stop. This was an impossible task, therefore, not so easy. After this example we started "Physics class." The declaration that we were doing physics made me super excited. I'm pretty certain I'm the only one in the room who felt this way. Anyways- President spoke of how laws of nature can not be stopped, changed, altered or anything. He also pointed out that the scriptures tell us that there is a heavenly law. This law declares we receive blessings when we are obedient. This law cannot be changed, altered, or effected. If we are obedient we are blessed. The more obedient we are, the more we are blessed. Isn't that cool!

This past weekend has also been pretty cool- literally. The clouds have rolled in for the weekend and it's been windy and rainy. Is it sad that I was cold enough this morning to take my sweater with me to district meeting :-) I've also come home after working each night to put on my sweatshirt. Many morning have consisted of us debating if we should avoid taking showers so we don't get pneumonia. So- it's not really that cold, but I'm from Vegas, so I have a good excuse- right?

I got to speak in church on Sunday. Our bishop likes to have a missionary speak every 4th Sunday, which is kinda cool, but kinda annoying too. Fortunately, most Filipinos understand English well enough I could justify giving my talk in English. We did have an investigator coming though who I knew didn't speak English very well. I just prayed that she would be able to feel the spirit while I spoke. I tried to keep my sentences and vocab simple and then finished my talk with my testimony in Hiligaynon (I've gotten pretty good at doing that). She came up to us afterwards and told us that I gave a great talk. So did lots of other people. I hope they actually think that and aren't just saying it to be nice- but at least I don't have to talk again for a while- next month is my companion's turn again.

Well- That's life here, it's fun! The Philippines is forever filled with new surprises. I really am so grateful for the chance I have to be here and to learn from these people.

About the picture - That's our zone- all 4 of the sisters live in the same apartment. The sister beside me is Sister Catindig, my companion. I'm wearing a dress she gave me. It's much too big for her, she got it at some place kinda like DI or Goodwill and was planning on using the material to make something for herself but decided to just give it to me instead. It's almost too nice to just wear out for work, so I might be in that dress for every zone meeting picture!
The sister in red is the mission presidents wife. The sister in white is Sister Adams, she's the sister who let me borrow clothes for a week until my luggage was found and in this picture she is actually wearing one of my shirts. The sister in yellow beside her is Sister Declaro, her companion.

Sister Adams and I sang "I Need Thee Every Hour" in Hiligaynon at the Zone Conference. It was really cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment