Monday, March 28, 2011

Gratitude

March 27, 2011

This week, I was reminded that God loves me. Last Sunday, the relief society president announced which talk they would be discussing in church for this Sunday. I wrote it down in my planner for something to study Saturday morning and didn't think about it again. Then, I had a really hard week. My two favorite missionaries in the mission were both taken away from me. One of them went home, by now she's probably already enjoyed pizza and ice cream and cheese- all those silly things I miss. The other one was transferred and is now the follow up trainer for my MTC companion. You know how you always realize just how great something was when it goes away. That's how I feel about these two sisters. Over the past three months, they have become some of my closest friends and helped me through a really difficult transition time. But you don't know what you've got till it's gone- right?

Friday I became the only American in the apartment. I understand Hiligaynon better than one of the sisters understands English. My own companion has also been companions with both sisters in the other companionship. They all started as close friends who understand each other's languages and cultures. The conversation is fast and, for me, near impossible to understand. The only time English is used is when someone is talking specifically to me. Even in that situation, sometimes the sentence is said in Hiligaynon first and then another sister translates it for me. Friday night, I went to bed feeling very alone. I tried to be optimistic, knowing that God will only do what is best for me. It was difficult, however, to be as cheerful as I wish I could be.

Saturday morning, I returned to the talk that I hadn't thought about since Sunday. I read "The Divine Gift of Gratitude", a talk given by President Thomas S. Monson, the current prophet, during General Conference in October 2010. General Conference is a bi-yearly event in which people from all over the world are able to listen to the leaders of the church speak and give council from God. It's one of my favorite events of the year, and one of the reasons October is my favorite month (that and my birthday). The talk really lifted my spirits. It reminded me to talk the opportunity to be grateful for the blessing I had. I'm so grateful that I'm sad previous housemates have left, because I know that I'm only sad because I've been blessed with wonderful friends and memories. I'm grateful for the chance to be tested and strengthened in my language skills. I'm grateful for the trust of the Lord as I face another challenge.

Being a missionary is budlay gid! (really hard) I know that it's worth it though. I know that I'm loved. I know that I'm blessed. My favorite quote from the talk is "My brothers and sisters, to express gratitude is gracious and honorable, to enact gratitude is generous and noble, but to live with gratitude ever in our hearts is to touch heaven." I hope to be able to live in such a way that I can touch heaven. President Monson also quoted William A. Ward in saying “feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.” So here is my present to all those who read this. Thanks for reading, for your prayers and your support. Thanks for letting me know I have people out there who care. Thanks to those two wonderful sisters who have left me know and have moved on to better things that wait in store for them. Your friendship has been invaluable. Thanks to President Monson for his ever inspiring talks and the opportunity coming up to hear from him again. And thanks most of all to my Heavenly Father, for giving me a good reason to read just what I needed this week, a talk that I wouldn't have come across other wise.

This upcoming weekend is conference weekend, one of my favorite of the year. As you watch conference this year and afterwards maybe think of your favorite missionary on the other side of the world, please take the time to email or write me and let me know what your favorite part was. We all have such different insights and ways of thinking, I'd love to hear about conference from your perspective. Let me know your favorite talk, or quote, or just an inspiring thought you had while listening that you don't mind sharing. I'll make sure to let you all know mine as well in my blog after we see conference (we watch it the weekend after you do because they have to tape it and re-show it, both the original and the re-broadcast are when filipinos sleep)

Palangga Ko Kamo!

P.S. If you want to watch conference it is shown on BYUTV which in Las Vegas is cable channel 352 and KVMY which is channel 12. There are 4 different sessions on Saturday April 2nd and Sunday April 3rd at 9:00 am and 1:00 pm PST. And if you happen to watch Sat at 1:00 look for Caimon (Elora's brother) he will be singing in the choir that session.

No comments:

Post a Comment