Monday, March 28, 2011

Why am I cold?

March 21, 2011

This week has been lotsa fun. The weather in the Philippines has chosen an unanticipated direction. As February drew to a close (several weeks ago), I had many missionaries tell me that the hot season was beginning. Apparently March, April, and May are the hotter months of the year. March seems to have decided it no longer wants to be in that category. We've had incredibly unusual weather the past week, some blame it on the earthquake in Japan, which is possible I suppose. It's mostly just been rainy, and cold... well, at least in my "raised in Vegas and hates temperatures under 70F" mind it's cold. It's okay to have that mind set though, because all the Filipinos think it's cold too. The highlight of the week was when the two americans in the apartment stop and notice that they are both walking around in sweatshirts and socks during a month which is supposed to be a Filipino summer.

So- I'm not cold particularly often, just far more often than anticipated. The weather is cold enough that I'm grateful for my socks, sweatshirt, and blanket. Very very grateful. Every day this week has been rainy and breezy. The clouds have been thick enough that I pointed to a very small clear patch this morning and declared "look, the sky is still blue!" Of course, through all of this, we haven't missed a step of work. This means wet feet, muddy shoes, and very excited investigators as they try to figure out why we care about them so much to brave the weather. If only they understood how much we love them and this message, they wouldn't need to ask.

Apart from the cold, I had my first baptism this week. The brother who was baptized is one of the sweetest people I've ever met. He's in his 60's, never lets us leave his house without snacks, and trusts in his Heavenly Father with absolute solidity. After his baptism, he stood up to bear his testimony. After a long pause, just standing in front of the crowd, he finally began speaking. "I cannot say it, the joy is too great." He gestured to his heart and his eyes began to tear up. Later he explained to us how he still felt like he was floating. He has a wonderful testimony and a genuine heart, even among Filipinos he's one of the sweetest people I've ever met.

I'm eternally grateful for opportunity I had to be raised in the gospel and baptized at 8, yet I wish I could remember that feeling. I was too young, the memories are too far away. I'm grateful for the chance I had to see that joy in his eyes and to know that he could feel God's love for him.

If I ever get the computer to recognize my memory card I'll send my mom a picture and have her upload it to my blog. Picture coming soon... just need to get the computer to be nice and recognize my memory card.

Finally- Something that will effect this upcoming week a good deal. We had transfer announcements this morning. The transfer itself doesn't happen till Friday. During transfer announcements I learned my trainer was being taken away from me. I've been with her for two transfers, so everyone was expecting this, but it still makes me sad. I really love my trainer. Another one of the sisters in our apartment is also transferring- but she's transferring home. This means she's already left for the mission home and will be flying home this Wednesday. Until Friday, her companion is joining with me and my companion to make a three-some for the week. It should be fun, but is definitely going to cost us more than normal in travel money.

Miss you all and loving the letters!

No comments:

Post a Comment