Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Bites, Bruises, Sore Eyes, and Hyper-acidity

January 23, 2011

This weeks been... really fun! Between all the teaching, talking, studying, practicing Hiligaynon, and occasional sleep, my companion and I... read the title of the post again and you might have some idea.

It started with my companion getting a really bad stomach ache which we think was caused by hyper-acidity. We had to come home early that day to make sure she had time to get better. She's doing great now, and for this I'm really glad. When I first realized that the new-be was in charge I was a little worried. But we got home safely and I know enough about life to figure out how to call the mission presidents wife, text the other sisters in the apartment to get medicine, and text the district leader to let him know what was happening. It was the first time I was totally in charge and I didn't even need to know Hiligaynon to survive.

After that, the bugs once again decided they like the way I taste enough to eat me through the bug repellent. I have another beautiful collection of itchy red dots on my legs. The Philippine bugs love me as much as the Philippinos do.

Then it was my companions turn again. Her eyes started to hurt her really bad and we are concerned she might have sore-eye, the philippine term for pink-eye. If she does- she has to stay home till it's gone and I'll be expected to find ward members to work with, then I'll really be in charge. I'm just praying she's okay.

Finally- I woke up yesterday morning and managed to bang my back on the bunk bed. The bruise is a wonderful shade of purple, I'm just glad it's in a place no one can see it.

So- that's was our exciting week. We managed to keep busy between all the injuries and illnesses and still got a lot of missionary work done. I really love our investigators. I'm so excited for them to get baptized, but I'm sad too because then we don't get to visit them every other day any more. But, we can find new investigators who are hopefully just as wonderful. I feel so blessed to be here and meet these people. They might think that I'm beautiful because of my pale skin and gold hair, I just wish they could see themselves through my eyes. These are people worth meeting, worth talking to, listening to. I can't wait until I really can understand their stories because they are amazing. Some of these people own less than I have with me in my two suitcases, yet their smiles shine through the rainiest days.

I'm trying to use more Hiligaynon in my every day language so that I get more comfortable using it. So far- I'm pretending it's helping, I don't really know. This week has been long and busy. However, I'm pretty sure that is what every week will feel like until I go home.

The work however has been wonderful... mostly. This week was a little depressing in that we had all of our members who were planning on working with us cancel. We also visited several empty houses, had 2 investigators tell us they weren't interested any more, and lots of people not come to church who said they would. This last statistic is due to the festival which was this weekend. Even some of the members went to it instead of church. But on the brighter side, we have 4 new investigators, 2 or which are actually the spouses of other investigators who decided they want to listen too, teaching couples is so exciting. It's so wonderful to know of the blessings that they will receive by continuing to listen to the lessons and eventually going to the temple.

Well, that's the general gist of the week- sorry this isn't as long as normal. To be honest, I've been so busy I just don't remember it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment