Monday, January 10, 2011

Dear Family "Gwapa Ka"

January 10,2011

so- the philippines has continued to be a beautiful place. It rains nearly every day, I've gotten stuck in the mud-literally- several times, and I don't know this language at all, but It has been so much fun regardless of this. we have wonderful investigators, I have a great companion, and the spirit of the lord is with us in all that we do.

It's difficult to give a specific experience that happened this week. The main reason for this is that i don't speak this language so I really never quite know what is going on. Despite this, One of my favorite experiences of this past week has been teaching Sister Jennifer. She told us the other day when we checked if she did the reading that we didn't need to ask any more. She said she would always be more than glad to read whatever we asked her to. We are having FHE with her and her family later tonight, I'm really looking forward to it.

The Philippines in general is filled with daily adventures. I've been chased by a goose, caught in the rain, and called Kana more times than I can count. This is my unofficial nickname from the children, it's short for Americana, a female American (the k is intentional, there is no c in their alphabet). the Filipino people really love white people. For the women of the family, if you ever need a self-confidence boost, come to the Philippines and be aware of the fact that "Gwapa Ka" means you're beautiful. I get it from people of all ages and genders. They are amazed by my pale skin, light curly hair, and especially my freckles. My companion has had several people ask her what happened to my arms to cause them to have spots, and sometimes the little children try to see if they can rub them off.

Well, I'll send you another update next Monday, hopefully by then I'll be able to tell you at least a little of what is going on around me and in our lessons. I really want to learn this language as fast as I can so I can talk to everyone I see. But, alas, I have to have patience with myself. I guess I can't really expect to learn a language in 1 week.

Palangga ko Kamo (I love you all)

No comments:

Post a Comment