Sunday, June 19, 2011

Amazing Alliteration

June 19, 2011 Father's Day!

Daddies and Daughters: As this week was Father's Day, I took some time to think about my family back home and those I love. As missionaries, we get the opportunity to call home on Mother's day, but not Father's day. This meant there was a little less anticipation in the air as Father's day approached. However, I did take the time to think about my amazing Dad and the special relationship I have with him as his only daughter. I just want to share about how much I love him and appreciate the support I've received from him my whole life. Dad's really are amazing people. That's all.

Sister Super Soprano: At our last Zone Meeting, our zone leaders prepared special awards and titles for each of the missionary in the zone. These awards and titles were handed out just before transfer announcements were made. The awards consisted of a local candy bar called chocomucho and the titles were simply taped to the candy bar. My title was "Sister Super Soprano." As one of 4 sisters in the zone and having a decent soprano range voice, I kinda stick out above everyone whenever we sing. I thought the alliteration of my title was fun, and I'm the only one who's title was like that.

Halong Jaro: (this is invisible alliteration, for all of you who thought I was in Jar-o, the actual pronunciation is Ha-ro, oh- and halong is hiligaynon for take care) This week was transfers! I've now moved out of my first area and into my second. So the week was bitter sweet. It was filled with the anticipation of moving somewhere new and getting to go to transfer meeting and seeing lots of fellow missionaries. It was also filled with saying goodbye to members and investigators whom I have truly grown to love and care for. These people have become like family as they've taught me to speak to them and fed me whatever random food they thought might not exist in America and I should try (these foods included mangoes and corn, along with a few things that were actually new like mango ice cream and a million different types of fish). I lived in that area for 5 and a half months and grew as much as I have in any given year. Jaro will always hold a special place in my heart and I'm so excited for the day I get to go back and visit again.

O-Boy, Oton!: So, if I move, obviously I need a new area. I'm now working in the Oton Branch, which is looking to be just as fun as Jaro. The members are just as nice, the investigators just as sweet, and the companion just as amazing. In the three days we've so far been together we've determined that it's going to be an amazing transfer. We're just on the same wavelength or something. Currently, our biggest challenge is ending companionship study on time. We have so many insights and things to share that we spend 45 minutes just sharing scriptures and thoughts and ideas with each other. I've already learned so much. However, since we only have 1 hour of companionship study and we need to use it to prepare for investigators, we decided we need to share personal insights and some other time of the day. I'm looking forward to an awesome transfer and I'm really excited to be in this area. It's very different from Jaro, but the people are just as sweet and insist on giving us just as much food.. even if it's as something as strange as paka soup- soup made from the skin of a cow.

No comments:

Post a Comment