Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Path

June 26th, 2011

This week's memorable experience: We have several investigators in this area who live in the "oma" (fields). This means they have dirt paths leading to their homes that become mud paths with just the slightest bit of rain and become dirty slip-n-slides if it rains a lot. This week happened to be a week in which it rained A LOT!
One of the investigators we visited Monday evening lived at the end of a trail much like the one I described above. My companion and I carefully walked the slippery path, using as many stepping stones as we could find. In many areas though, the stones had been covered in mud or were completely missing. In one of these such areas, my lack of grace decided to display its talent and I ended up with a very muddy skirt and a rather injured leg (see the included picture). (Don't worry, it's not nearly as bad as it looks and is nearly completely healed at this point). We continued on to our investigator's house where I washed my leg and put some disinfectant on it. After visiting with them, we then had to walk the same path to get back to the main road. This time, the investigator accompanied us to point out where the stepping stones were; pointing out to us the safer path. We returned home in safety and all is well.

Now- since we all know I have a tendency to over-think things- the analogy to my adventure:
Many people relate our life to a path that each of us walks. There are forks in the road, choices to make, etc. Sometimes the path is simple and easy to walk, the way is paved and the steps are safe. Other times, the path is a dirt road and it's been raining. The walkway is slippery and each step, if not closely watched, can be very dangerous. With the simplest distraction, you can find yourself on your rear end, covered in mud and bleeding. Heavenly Father knows that the path we walk is not easy, but he also knows that if we do not reach the end, we won't be happy. So He has provided us friends- people along the way who will help you stand back up again and walk with you until you can clean yourself off. Heavenly Father has given us Prophets- people who point out when and where the path is most slippery and are willing to show us the safest way. He's also given us the gift of repentance. When we fall, we have the ability to get back up again. We are not condemned to sit in the mud at the side of the path forever, watching others pass us by. We have to make that choice, however, for if we do not want to stand back up- no one will make us. Through our mistakes we can learn. We can recognize where life is slippery and choose if we will try to walk the path again, or follow the safer path that has been pointed out to us.
Of course, when we make mistakes, such as I did, there are consequences- some long lasting, others not so much. I was able to wash the dirt off right away, but the bruises will take longer to fade and the scars will take a while to heal. In life- I have disinfectant, bandaids, and lotion to help my skin return to normal. In my analogy, I have Christ and his atonement to help wash away all the effects, even the long-lasting ones, of sin. My body has the ability to heal and regenerate skin so that eventually, even my most severe scars will disappear. With this gift I have the responsibility to learn and to become better. If I continue to walk the same path, slipping and injuring myself each week- the scars will only become deeper and take longer to fade. So I'm choosing to use what I have learned so that I do not slip again and I only have this one injury to recover from. Like this- if I keep making the same mistakes again and again, if I repeatedly do the same sin, the spiritual scars will only become deeper and take longer to heal. Yet the promise remains, that whenever I choose to stop falling in the mud and let myself heal- He will heal me. I can become whole and perfect again.

Other news this week:
Tuesday- Tuesday was the official first day of summer. So, at noon I grabbed my camera, faced south and took a picture of my shadow. I'm close enough to the equator that at noon during the summer time, my shadow is on the south side of my body- something that doesn't happen back home.
My shadow - I am facing south can you tell!

Wednesday- We found a part member family who really wants to be taught. 5 of their 6 children are old enough to be baptized and all said that they want to be baptized. The most exciting thing about them is that they live a 30 minute walk out into the middle of the oma (fields). My companion and I are making sure that we are really careful to see if they are actually progressing and prepared for baptism, because it would be a lot of walking to teach them every week. But it will provide us with some great bonding time!
Thursday- We had our first weekly planning session as a companionship. We discussed different ways to make sure that we only talk about planning when we are supposed to be planning so that it doesn't take us way too long. We also discussed how we are going to help our investigators, we are really excited for the week ahead of us to really get the work rolling in this area.
Friday- We had a member working with us, which was really exciting, and then all our appointments punted us- which was less exciting. So the member took us to some former investigators who she knew and we began teaching them again! Then she took us to a part-member family, the brothers and mother are members, but the older two siblings are not. One of these two siblings is Sister Joy, who is deaf. The school she went to taught her ASL instead of PSL, so I can actually communicate with her. She is so sweet and incredibly funny. She is also really patient with me as I try to remember my ASL vocab.
Saturday- On this day I got to meet Brother George. He's been investigating the church for three years but keeps refusing to quit smoking so can't be baptized. We decided to teach him once again about the word of wisdom. To our surprise, he informed us (before we started teaching) that he decided to quit smoking and to quit drinking as well. He realized that cigarettes and alcohol don't have brains, so why should he let them make decision for him. It was pretty awesome.

The Tuko (large lizard) that decided to move into the house.

The place the Tuko decided to move to--- yes, that's my bed, and my companion taking a picture of it. The Tuko was nicely guided out of the room. The next day he decided to move back and then was not so nicely guided out of the house.


Sunday- This day was super busy. We went from appointment to appointment and everyone was home. It was so much fun. We had a member with us who introduced Seminary to the children of the family mentioned on Wednesday and they want to participate. Even though the school year is already started (school here starts the beginning of June) the member is going to help them get enrolled and caught up.

I love missionary work!

Palangga Ko Kamo!

No comments:

Post a Comment