Sunday, June 12, 2011

Warrior

June 12, 2011

This week my reading in the Book of Mormon has brought me to what people often call the "War Chapters." As the name implies, they are about war. The two main civilizations in the Book of Mormon are the Lamanites and the Nephites. The war chapters focus on several years in which these two civilizations are in constant war because the first is trying to take over the second and take away their freedom. The Nephites, though smaller in number, fight diligently as they defend their families and their right to freedom. Their desires are pure and honest, they are not seeking for power over another people.

In an effort to help, several young men volunteer to go to war as well. They are referred to as the Stripling Warriors due to there young age. These two thousand young men had never fought before, but desired the freedom of those they loved so much that they were willing to give of their lives. At first, these young men, due to their youth, were used to carry supplies or as decoys in order to keep them out of the main fighting. Eventually though, the other armies of the Nephites were not enough to overcome the Lamanites who were attacking them and these 2000 men were asked to join the fight.

Alma 56

44 - Therefore what say ye, my sons, will ye go against them to battle?

45 - And now I say unto you, my beloved brother Moroni, that never had I seen so great courage, nay, not amongst all the Nephites.

46 - For as I had ever called them my sons (for they were all of them very young) even so they said unto me: Father, behold our God is with us, and he will not suffer that we should fall; then let us go forth; we would not slay our brethren if they would let us alone; therefore let us go, lest they should overpower the army of Antipus.

47 - Now they never had fought, yet they did not fear death; and they did think more upon the liberty of their fathers than they did upon their lives; yea, they had been taught by their mothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them.

I may not stand at the brink of a physical battle, but I hope to develop their courage and faith. I do stand at the front lines of a spiritual battle for each person I teach. I'm fighting for their spiritual freedom. I know that God is with me and I shall not fall.
Palangga Ko Kamo!

Here is a link if you want to read more in Alma:
http://lds.org/scriptures/bofm/alma?lang=eng
Sorry, I couldn't get it to post as a link but just copy and paste

No comments:

Post a Comment