Saturday, June 15, 2013

A habit-less week

After the car crash, I really couldn't think of a habit for the past week.  This was mostly caused by fatigue which prevented me from actually trying to think of a habit on which I can improve.  I also realized, as helpful as the habits are, as much as I'm enjoying developing new habits, they aren't the most important things.  Good eating habits and making the bed help make life a little better, but they aren't the point of it.

I let the past week be a recovery week.  It was a time to relax, not stress about remembering to go jogging or floss or whatever.  I want to say thank you for all the support I felt in the past week.  Thank you to the many of you who read my previous post and commented either there or somewhere on facebook.  Thanks for the phone calls and skype chats and an even bigger thanks to those who were able to speak to me in person.  I honestly enjoyed the opportunity to tell about the crash a million times over.  This helped me to understand what happened and see more fully with each recollection the miracle I experienced.  Last week I was able to report that I was physically unharmed.  I can now report that I'm unharmed mentally as well.  I'm not afraid of cars, or the mountain roads.  I don't get tense whenever going around the corner at which I crashed.  I even walked to it yesterday in order to take pictures.  I know that God was watching over me when the crash happened and I know He is always watching over me, so I'm not worried.

I also had this past week be a maintenance week.  Each day was an opportunity to analyze the habits I've been working on and make sure I'm still doing a decent job with each.  I can report that I'm still successfully taking a multi-vitamin each day... and I'm mostly-successfully going to bed on time every night. I've at least developed enough of a habit of waking up early that I get up at 7:30 without an alarm now.  (I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to being able to stay up till sunrise again).  I still make my bed and I still exercise regularly.  Despite the elevation, I'm able to run about half a mile, which I'm pretty sure is the farthest I've ever been able to run, so I consider this an accomplishment.  And lastly- I've been eating great breakfasts.  I'm a huge fan of this habit because of the effect it has on my mornings.  I've not been worrying about exact amounts of sugar or anything, I've just tried to eat a full, balanced breakfast.  As a result, I don't get hungry till nearly lunch time, it's wonderful.  My favorite breakfast meals to make have been scrambled eggs with toast and a glass of V8 splash and an english muffin with Adams peanut butter and a banana on it. Yum.

For next week, I had planned breaking a habit instead of making one- and that habit was going to be candy consumption.  However, on the way back from grocery shopping today, we stopped at the Old Apple Barn and bought fudge, so that habit will have to wait till I'm out of fudge.  Instead, I'm going to work on a habit of balanced lunches to build on my breakfast habit.  This means getting the salad instead of dessert when I eat at the employee cafe (you can choose one or the other or pay 50 cents extra for both).  I'm going to have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment