Sunday, June 2, 2013

A Sweet Cut Back

I have decided that my weekly habits for the month of June will all have a common theme- decreasing my somewhat outrageous sugar intake.  Now- when I say sugar I am not referring to the natural substances that occurs in almost everything (lactose, fructose, anything-else-tose).  We are supposed to eat fruits and drink milk and such, so I'm not to worried about how much of that I get.  When I say sugar, I'm referring to finding sugar and high fructose corn syrup and such on ingredients lists, the sweet stuff added to my food to encourage me to eat it.  I hope, this month, to develop eating habits which result in eating a little less of the stuff. 

For the first week of June, week 4 of the 'program', I'm focusing on breakfast.  My traditional breakfast, as anyone who's lived with me knows, is a large bowl of Malt-O-Meal's Cinnamon Toasters. This large bowl, once I figured out how many servings I fit in it, contains nearly 27 grams of sugar.  Now, that's not too terrible, but it is about the equivalent of eating 1/4 cup of M&M's for breakfast, not exactly the "balanced breakfast" I've been told I should start my day with.  

Since yesterday was my shopping day, I bought fancy things like oatmeal, English muffins and bananas. I've always felt bananas were a very breakfast-y fruit.  I even splurged and bought brown eggs (white eggs give me a stomach ache).  I'm all set for a weeks worth of balanced breakfasts.  And I get to figure out how to cook at 9000+ ft.  This will be fun.

1 comment:

  1. Breakfast is my favorite part of the day. whole wheat pancakes are my favorite. I will send you the recipe! I to try not to take in so much sugar(that I love) one way that help curve that craving is taking chromium which just a natural mineral. I can easily walk by a snickers and it won't even temp me. : ). If you get to check books at the library the South beach diet quick and easy have great low sugar recipes and oh so good. I cook out of it all the time!

    ReplyDelete