Friday, June 21, 2013

The Old Testament

Several months ago, I made a goal to read my scriptures cover-to-cover.  This consists of the Old and New Testaments, as well as three additional books members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints consider to be scripture- the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price.

Today, I finished the first and longest of these books- the Old Testament.  I believe this is the first time I've read the Old Testament all the way through, and I will admit, there were parts that were hard to get through, like Chronicles and Numbers.  I'm sure if I were a better person, I would have discovered all the important lessons with which the prophets filled these books.  I guess I need to become a better person and come back to this again sometime.  Of course, being unable to learn from Chronicles or Numbers doesn't mean that nothing was learned.  I would like to share with you a few verses that really stuck out to me as I read this ancient work of revelation.

Isaiah 14:12-16. The first three verses describe Lucifer's fall from heaven due to his attempt to exceed God. Yet as great as his desire for power is, he is doomed to punishment. The last verse expresses what we shall see after this life. "They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms?"

These verses help me to remember two truths about Satan. The first is that he does have power to shake kingdoms and effect the world around us. Second, we shall look down upon him after this life, amazed at his smallness.  He has great power, but only because we give it too him.  It kinda reminds me of those bratty children you see who completely run their parents lives.  They are tiny and powerless in the world, but have control because it is given to them.  We are more than Satan is or ever will be.  As we strive to live righteously, he will never be able to overpower us.  He can tempt us, but he can never make us sin. The power of choice lies solely with us.

Jeremiah 1: 6-7 In the first part of the chapter, Jeremiah is told that he has been foreordained to be a prophet of God.  These verses are his response.  "Then said I, Ah, Lord God! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child. But the Lord said unto me, Say not, I am a child: for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak."

The Lord has often given me positions and responsibilities of which I felt completely incapable.  I turned to him with a similar response as Jeremiah, "I am but a child, I'm unqualified and unable."  Every time, he has responded just as He did above, with a reminder that I don't need to tell him I'm a child, he knows, and if I go where He has sent me, He will tell me what to do and say.  He makes up for our weaknesses.

Ezekiel 36: 26 "A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh."

This verse reminds me that no matter what happens, God can heal us.  There are many ways to acquire a stony heart.  It can be through our sins that pull us away from Heavenly Father or it can be the actions of others that hurt and leave scar tissue till your heart loses its ability to feel and care.  Either way, if we turn to Him again, He promises to take that damaged heart away and make us new again.  I've felt it and know it to be true.  There was a time in my life where I could no longer deal with broken promises and fake friendships and I stopped caring about the world.  I thought I could handle no more pain, so I refused to let myself feel it.  This only made things worse as I became isolated and cold.  Finally turning to God let in all the pain I had tried to hold out, however, it also flooded my soul with His love for me.  He eased the pain, took away that which I couldn't bear, and gave me a new heart that might love again.

No comments:

Post a Comment