Monday, February 17, 2014

Attempts at Poetry

We've recently finished the poetry unit of my creative writing class, which in college terms means the final drafts of my poems will soon be due.  After teacher-feedback, revision, roommate-review, revision, peer-workshop, and a little more revision, I now turn to you.  Beloved friends, family-members, and other readers: I need your help.  I would really appreciate comments on this poem.  Tell me what you thought about it, how it made you feel, what parts you felt were confusing, what sort of questions the poem left you with, anything!  

ps- for those who like to worry about me, no- I am not depressed, life is not horrible, it's just a poem!

Pain

Winter hits,
again and
again.

After each time
the sun bursts
and sweeps
the sky blue
and persuades me
to believe
 in summer,
I awake
the next
day to
grey.

My heart sinks
with my feet
into black water,
gathered in small
rivers along
slippery streets,
frigid pulp
swimming with
dregs left
by passing
cars.

That first
November week,
cold air slapped
my cheeks
and bit
my toes
and gnawed
into my ears,
grinding like
childhood ear
infections.

And each
December gust
threatened to
shatter me
like the icicle
that has lost
its battle
with gravity
and, at the
end of its
long fall finds
only hardened
earth.

But I don’t
shatter, instead
I crack along
my lips and
the once
soft skin around
my fingernails
till I
bleed.

And now
January passes so
I step again
into the wind;
my fingers
now numb,
my feet
forever frozen
and I slip
on the ice
and fall
face first
into the snow
and feel
nothing.

But which
do I prefer?
To let the
cold crawl
into my bones
until I am
numb. Or
for the sun
to return
and melt
away the ice
which has
replaced my
soul until it
leaks, slowly
from my
eyes.

2 comments:

  1. The imagery is quite fantastic. I was a little confused by the punctuation in the end, but it also could be the effect you want. I felt like it was drawn out because of the short line lengths, which makes me think of the drawn out winter, so that's good. It does feel really dark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In some places, the way I read the phrasing breaking up didn't match where you broke lines. I don't know if you did this intentionally, but I figured I'd point it out.

    specifically, my brain kept wanting to read:

    "I awake // the next // day to // grey." as "I awake // the next day // to grey."

    "gathered in small // rivers along // slippery streets" as "gathered in small rivers // along slippery streets"

    "by passing // cars." as "by passing cars"

    "childhood ear // infections." as "childhood ear infections."

    "and, at the // end of its // long fall finds" as "and, at the end // of its long fall // finds"

    "But I don’t // shatter, instead" as "But I don’t shatter, // instead"

    "To let the // cold crawl" as "To let // the cold crawl"


    "replaced my // soul until it // leaks, slowly // from my // eyes."

    was the only bit I really had difficulty reading.
    I think I ended up reading it as:

    "replaced // my soul // until it leaks, // slowly // from // my eyes." (or maybe "from my // eyes")


    I'm sure some of these were definitely intentional choices you made, and I'm certainly no good at poetry.

    also, was there any more indentation that got lost in formatting? I noticed a space at the beginning of " in summer", which just felt right, but no other indentation for the rest of the poem.


    On rereading 2 or 3 times, I really like this poem. It captures that particular feeling, one which I couldn't really convey without just reciting the poem.

    ReplyDelete