Thursday, February 20, 2014

Poetry, Part 2

So, we have to turn in two poems for our final poetry assignment.  I thought I would share this poem with you as well.  This particular poem means a lot to me, as it has a lot of influence from life right now, especially in regards to my roommate, one of my best friends.  Though the poem has embellished and over-emphasized things.  If you have a moment, I would also appreciate your comments on this, especially if you feel you don't understand what is going on.  The assignment was to capture a scene in a poem, so if you can't see it, I've not done a very good job.

The MRI

Clear black plastic taped to kitchen windows.
Sun light filters through swirling grey matter
and darker, rigid lines of sturdy skull,
illuminating bisections of you.
The sun comes through each picture, casting
shadows, bent and distorted
around the legs of the table and chairs.
In the twisted images
I think I see an elephant.
You find a cow
and name it Betsy.
Our abs ache and we lean
on one another to stay standing.
The laughter lightens the mood a little,
like the sun that barely brightens the room.
“Pass me the tape.”
I grab more black plastic,
cover the last corner
and we continue to ignore the
bright bleached blotches,
cancerous lumps,
which stare ominously
from the black plastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment