Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Final Drafts

For those interested, here are the final drafts of the poems I'm turning in today.  Thanks so much to the many people who read it and provided input.  I heard several people attempted to comment and for some reason the comments never showed.  I can't figure out why that is, thank you for your thoughts, regardless of if they showed up or not.  Also, for those who are able to comment, my teacher suggested I change the last stanza of Pain, let me know what you think (even though I can't change it for the final), I can't decide if I like this ending better or the original.

The MRI 
Clear black plastic film
taped to kitchen windows.
Sun light filters through swirling grey matter
and darker, rigid lines of sturdy skull,
illuminating bisections of you.
The sun comes through each picture,
barely brightening the room and
casting shadows, bent and distorted
around the legs of the table and chairs.
In the twisted images
I think I see an elephant.
You find a cow
and name it Betsy.
Our abs ache and we lean
on one another to stay standing.
“Pass me the tape.”
I grab another black and grey image,
to cover the last corner
and we continue to ignore the
bright bleached blotches,
cancerous lumps,
which stare ominously

from the black plastic.

Pain

Winter hits,
again and
again.

After each
sun burst,
which sweeps
the sky
a bright blue
and persuades
me to believe
in summer,
I awake
the next day
to grey.

My heart sinks
with my feet
into black water,
gathered in
small rivers along
slippery streets,
a frigid pulp,
agitated by
passing cars.

The first
November week,
how the
cold air slaps
my cheeks
and bits
my toes
and gnaws
into my ears,
grinding like
childhood ear
infections.

And each
December gust
threatens to
shatter me
like the icicle
that has lost
its battle with
gravity and,
at the
end of its
long fall,
finds only
hardened earth.

I don’t shatter,
I only crack
along my lips
and the once
soft skin
around my
fingernails
till I bleed.

I step again
into January wind;
my fingers
now numb,
my feet
forever frozen
and I slip
on the ice
and fall,
face first,
into the snow…
and feel
nothing.

The cold crawls
into my bones,
leaving me numb
and sense-less
until summer
returns and
offers joy,
but the sun
must first melt
away the ice
that replaced
my soul,
until it
leaks, slowly,
from my
eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment