Sunday, February 9, 2014

Acrobats and the Antics of Crazy College Girls

I've said this before, but I really must say again how much I love my roommates.  I feel so blessed with the incredible women I have the chance to live with and learn from each day.  I know that at any point, I can call girls night and we will all curl up on the couches and probably watch Court Jester again.  (We're going to have that movie memorized by the end of the semester).  Point being, I'm so grateful for where I am and who I am with.

That being said, we really probably should be separated for our own safety.  Or at least, we shouldn't be allowed to go to the circus together.  The Cirque Viva Golden Dragon Acrobats came to our school and performed this weekend.  4 of the 6 roommates (myself included) had tickets to see the show.  The night begins with a casual comment that those who wear glasses should make sure to bring them since we were sitting in the balcony.  This turned into a new scheme of purchasing tickets to an opera, as well as finding old fashioned opera glass, long gloves, and fancy gowns in order to attend the opera dressed up as though we were British royalty.  Giddy on our latest plot, we skipped off to the show, someone still forgetting to put in her contacts regardless of the reminder.

We were in for the treat of a life time.  We saw incredible contortionists, juggling acts, jumping rope while on a unicycle, jumping through hoops higher than the acrobats heads, huge hoops that people could stand in and roll around the stage on, the ultimate clown car- which was actually a single person bike which 9 full grown people managed to crowd themselves on, and much more.  We were enthralled.  Now, this may seem innocent enough, but you have to realize how excited my roommates and I get about things.  Before the first act was over, one of us leaned into the others and said softly, "I bet we could figure out how to do that."

The fuse was lit. Our eyes were glued to the stage, still in a state of absolute awe, but with a new found interest to determine exactly how to do each trick.  Intermission was the fastest 15 minutes of my life as we enthusiastically shared our favorite parts and discussed what we would need to do in order to accomplish the same feats.  We giggled mischievously as the lights dimmed again for the second act, showing us new skills that we soon would make our own.  Like I said, we should not be allowed to go to the circus together.

However, we are at least somewhat sensible, after watching one acrobat create a stack of chairs a good 25 feet high and proceeding to do handstands on the top of it all, someone had the sense to whisper, "We're not trying that one."

No comments:

Post a Comment