Tuesday, November 15, 2016

#2 My car keeps starting

While driving to a church activity last night, my brake light and battery light suddenly both turn on. I arrive at the church, pull out the owner's manual, and try to figure out what the cryptic light pattern refer to.

If the brake light is on...you left your parking brake on or you are running low on brake fluid.  Maybe the two lights aren't related so I double check my parking brake, it's not on. I try putting it on and taking it off again because that works with computers. No change.  I open the hood, locate the brake fluid, and verify that it's not running low. Back to the manual.

If the brake light and ABS light are on...Stop driving immediately; your brakes are going to die any minute now!!!!! Well, the ABS light isn't on, so I guess I don't have to walk home from the church. This is good news.

Absolutely nothing about brake light and battery light at the same time. Google to the rescue! Type in the model of the car and the two lights that are blinking at me and learn that it's an early warning sign that my alternator is about to die, which means my battery might not be charging correctly and one of these days my car just won't turn on.

Wonderful - I know what the problem is, but it is 7:30 at night and I have plans from 7 AM to 10:30 PM the next day.

I definitely know this is one of those things I want to fix ASAP, but in all my driving today, my car has continued to turn on successfully every time. Definitely a miracle - and one that I will pray continues until I get a chance to buy an alternator and find someone with the right tools to help me replace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment