Monday, November 28, 2016

#6 A Moment of Recollection

Today's miracle was a simple moment of recollection. These are some of the easiest miracles to overlook, because it's just a thought.  But they are some of the most important miracles, because it is the right thought brought to clarity at the right moment to change our lives.

It snowed today. On one hand...probably my right hand, you know - the dominate thoughts...I'm not too happy about snow. Mostly, I just don't like the cold and it kinda has to be cold to snow.  I grew up in the desert where snow (and cold for that matter) are something that you visit for a day or so, then return home where a sweatshirt can get you through the day.

But on the other hand - I can't deny it's beauty. My world is covered in 3-4 inches, with more promised tonight.  Hard edges become soft. Imperfections are buried. Eventually, everything is just a smooth, calm, white. I walk through a snow covered night, with sounds muffled and light enhanced. It feels enchanted.

And in that moment, a simple thought is brought to mind, Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." Isaiah 1:1

Except, the odd thing was, when the phrase came to mind, it was altered slightly. "though your scars be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow."

Suddenly, I understood something I have long known.  No matter how scarred, damaged, hurt, or beat I might get - God promises the peace, serenity, and enchantment of the night of the first heavy snowfall.  He will cover it all up and let me walk in tranquility. And - if I let him - he will heal me so that the scars and damage and hurt are gone when the snow melts.

No comments:

Post a Comment