Tuesday, December 13, 2016

#13 - 15 Retreat

This past weekend was one huge miracle bundled around a dozen smaller ones. I figured I could justifiably count it as 3 since there were three days and each had a distinct miracle.


On Friday - my friends and I drove up into the mountains to chill and hangout at a fancy cabin/condo thing for our girls retreat. As we began this adventure...I began to feel a little weary. My friends were using this weekend retreat as a chance to take a break from husbands, kids, households. What was I retreating from? The three dirty dishes I left in the sink? But I quickly discovered that, even though I have no children and can't discuss parenting techniques, I can still be there to listen to my friends when they need to talk things through.  Anyways - that wasn't Friday's miracle, just a brief side-story.


Friday's miracle was that we made it to our destination. As we drove up the mountain, the roads became icy and slick. We drove with caution, keeping slow enough that we were in no physical danger, but sometimes, we hit a patch of ice and listened to the tires spin without getting us anywhere. As the rode became steeper and icier, thoughts of a need to call it quits and turn around began to form. Somehow, the tires found traction and we finally reached our retreat destination.


Saturday was snowy. Despite crazy conversations and nail painting and hair braiding and the blizzard outside, there was a calm sense of peace.  I could look out the windows and watch the snow swirl while remaining warm inside with good food and great company. I might not have had anything to retreat from, but I discovered what I was retreating too, and was rejuvenated by the peace which surrounded me.


Sunday's miracle was that it stopped snowing. Everything was covered. But we had shovels and snow plows and nice people who did the shoveling and snowplowing for us.  The cars emerged from the snow and we came down the mountains on clear, dry roads. Sometimes, the miracles make the journey, other times, they are the journey itself.


PS - I reached miracle #15 before the 1 month mark, not too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment