Saturday, December 24, 2016

#17 Oh Christmas Tree

Although I am trying to see the miracles every day, sometimes I miss them. Sometimes I miss them because I'm just not paying enough attention, and other times I miss them because I haven't seen the full effect of the miracle. The event occurred on one day, but the real miracle was the long-term influence of the event in my life.

Earlier this week, I helped a friend pick out and decorate a Christmas tree.  I've never had a real tree before, so I welcomed the new adventure. The evening passed quickly as we wrapped the tree in lights and dug ornaments out of dusty boxes. An evening which may otherwise have been spent crocheting and watching Netflix was instead filled by creating memories. I went to sleep that night unaware of the miracle I had just been given.

As the week continued, busy with work and preparing to visit family, I found my thoughts clearer than expected (especially considering I had stayed up way too late and definitely did not get enough sleep). I no longer felt stressed with everything that needed to be done before the holidays. The gloom which normally approaches with the cold weather and the long nights had abated. 

My heart became light and looking back on the week, I noticed that the turning point came when picking out a tree and taking time to smell the pine, laughing at the trail of needles, and enjoying a cup of hot cocoa. 

Setting up my own tree brought the Christmas spirit into my heart, but I hadn't realized that I had lost it. So God gave me the chance to set up another, a miracle to bring the Christmas spirit back. And wonderful new memories along with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment