Friday, December 2, 2016

#9 I understand a little French

And when I say a little, I mean the tiniest amount. I took two years of French, back in 8th and 9th grade. I feel old admitting it - but that was almost half my lifetime ago.  On a standard day, I can remember the basics - bonjour, merci, and the random and mostly useless pomme de terre (potato).

I am currently working on a special training project for my job. I created 7 training videos and am now in the process of recreating them in French. Basically - I was provided with the audio recording of the script and I am synchronizing it with the video.  I was not selected to do this job because of my extensive knowledge of French. I made the English videos, so I am making the French ones too.

But today, I experienced a miracle. I can understand the French script. Not entirely, but enough that it actually isn't difficult to edit the video.

Admittedly, part of it is luck with the words in the video. There are enough non-translated words (like email) and enough cognates (graph translates to graphic) that I can tell when certain phrases are said when comparing it to the English script. But luck is also a miracle in it's own way. I could have used different words when writing the original script. I could have said line-chart instead of graph.

And that's another part of it - I wrote the original script, so I know what it is supposed to say.

But it's more than luck and familiarity. Long forgotten knowledge is being brought to memory. I am so grateful for this miracle which is making my job much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment